Are you looking for a patient-focused company that will inspire you and support your career? If so, be empowered to take charge of your future at Takeda. Join us as an Associate Director, Medicinal Chemistry in our San Diego office.
Here, everyone matters and you will be a vital contributor to our inspiring, bold mission. As an Associate Director, Medicinal Chemistry, you will be empowered to formulate project level goals and strategy through collaboration with other members of the organization.
- The Associate Director, Medicinal Chemistry is required to have a proven track record of project leadership from early target validation through lead optimization to delivery of clinical candidate molecules. This individual leads, inspires and motivates chemistry and interdisciplinary project teams.
- This incumbent demonstrates a deep understanding of medicinal chemistry principles and their application within an integrated drug discovery environment. S/he is responsible for setting strategies, priorities and managing activities to deliver on objectives and milestones.
- Collaborates with cross-functional partners to define and implement strategies for drug discovery programs from target validation to hit-to-tool/lead and/or lead optimization and to Proof of Mechanism using internal, external (CRO) and partner resources.
- Competent representative for GI-DDU and chemistry department. Provides medicinal chemistry evaluation of external/partnership opportunities, including participating in diligence exercises.
- Provides mentorship and proactively supports the professional development of line reports and colleagues.
- Ability to formulate project level goals and strategy though collaboration with other members of the organization.
- Partners with cross-functional teams to generate data in support of project goals & deliverables to drive key Go/No Go decisions for drug discovery programs.
- Leads chemistry and/or cross-functional teams (in-house and with partners) in defining, aligning, and implementing strategies for hit identification, hit-to-tool optimization, lead optimization and delivery of candidate molecules.
- Independently leads, inspires and motivates both chemistry teams and multidisciplinary project teams. Capable of multitasking, including leading one or more hit to tool/lead and/or lead optimization programs while maintaining lab presence.
- Conceives and applies an integrated chemistry strategy and appropriately prioritizes resources to optimally meet project goals.
- Establishes customized in vitro and in vivo compound testing flow schemes to support programs at all stages.
- Effectively manages internal and CRO chemists. Able to rapidly shift resources and reprioritize in response to data.
- Demonstrates inter-disciplinary knowledge of drug discovery (in vitro/in vivo pharmacology, ADME, PK/PD/E, translational research & toxicology) in order to assess druggability and able to use this knowledge to influence project strategy.
- Committed to maintaining up-to-date knowledge of medicinal chemistry and Gastroenterology targeted drug delivery and related areas through scientific literature review and trainings.
- Prepares and organizes data for presentation. Presents written and oral reports to management. Communicates research efforts to collaborators, corporate partners, or at scientific meetings.
- Publishes original research and review articles in scholarly journals to enhance the chemistry team and Takeda s reputation.
- Adaptable and dependable manager of both junior and senior scientists, demonstrating exemplary behaviors and able to support and enhance career development of all line reports
- Embraces and fosters Takeda culture and displays exemplary behaviors consistent with Takeda s core values and mission.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Ph.D. in Organic/Medicinal Chemistry with thesis, publication(s), postdoctoral experience, and a minimum of 8 years relevant scientific and technical experience including industry experience plus 5 years of supervisory experience.
- Knowledgeable in all aspects of drug discovery from target discovery through to early clinical development.
- Demonstrated competency in hypothesis-based medicinal chemistry. Track record of project leadership in driving discovery programs to key pre-clinical G/NG decision points, including the successful identification of development candidates.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a dynamic multidisciplinary community and matrix organization.
- Experience in late stage optimization and preclinical evaluation of small molecule drugs, including a detailed knowledge of the roles of DMPK, drug safety, CMC, formulation and translational research. Able to define and influence pre-clinical and early clinical development strategy.
- Positive can-do attitude with excellent written/verbal communication and collaboration skills and ability to work with cross-functional scientists. Ability to clearly and concisely convey ideas and opinions.
- Highly motivated and flexible with ability to work in fast-paced environment. Ability to provide novel, creative solutions to challenging problems. Desire to learn and tackle new challenges and initiatives.
- Professionally represents the organization in collaborations, partnership discussions, and external relationships and conferences.
- Experience in effectively managing more junior personnel and able to identify and create personalized development opportunities for line reports.
- Manual dexterity required to operate office equipment (i.e., computers, phones, etc.).
- Carrying, handling and reaching for objects.
- Ability to stand and work in a laboratory environment
- Willingness to travel to various meetings or client sites, including overnight trips. Some international travel may be required.
- Requires approximately 5-10% travel.
WHAT TAKEDA CAN OFFER YOU:
- 401(k) with company match and Annual Retirement Contribution Plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Company match of charitable contributions
- Health & Wellness programs including onsite flu shots and health screenings
- Generous time off for vacation and the option to purchase additional vacation days
- Community Outreach Programs
Empowering Our People to Shine
Learn more at takedajobs.com.
No Phone Calls or Recruiters Please